Systems Analysis Laboratory
Systems Analysis Laboratory was established by emeritus professor Raimo P. Hämäläinen in 1984 within the professorship of applied mathematics in the Helsinki University of Technology. Now we are part of the new Aalto University. The director of the laboratory is Professor Ahti Salo. Our other professors are Harri Ehtamo, Risto Lahdelma (part-time), Fabricio Oliveira, Antti Punkka and Kai Virtanen. Professor Esa Saarinen from the Department of Industrial Engineering and Management is a co-director of our Systems Intelligence Group.
The research interests of the laboratory cover the area of systems science comprehensively ranging from the mathematical theories and algorithms of optimization, control and decision making to the practical interactive computer modeling and decision support systems and risk and technology assessment. The focus of the applications is in complex energy, production and environmental systems. The problems are analyzed with a balanced engineering-economic systems approach. We also have a long tradition in biological modelling. Currently we have a growing effort in studying systems intelligence and applied philosophy in human organizations.
As a university institution the laboratory is unique in Finland. It is responsible for the undergraduate major of Mathematics and systems sciences in the Engineering Physics and Mathematics programme (bachelor's program) and for the graduate major of Systems and Operations Research (master's program). We also give general courses in opimization, statistics and modeling. The laboratory is in charge of the national Doctoral Education Network in Systems Analysis, Decision Making, and Risk Management.
- Bachelor Major in Mathematics and Systems Sciences
- Master's Programme in Mathematics and Operations Research
- Doctoral Education Network in Systems Analysis, Decision Making and Risk Management
- Finnish Operations Research Society
- Aalto Centre for Operations Research = ACOR
- Aalto Systems Forum
- Behavioural Operational Research
News and Events
- Professor Ahti Salo appointed member of the COVID19 Science Panel
- CANCELLED! ACOR and FORS organize EURO2022 kickoff seminar 28.4.
This event has been cancelled and will be organized later.Read more
- Challenges and Opportunities for OR in Electricity Markets
A public lecture by Prof. Shmuel S. Oren. Friday, March 6 2020 at 14-15, Hall M1, Otakaari 1F, Aalto University, Espoo.Read more
- Summer jobs at the Systems Analysis Laboratory
The Systems Analysis Laboratory is hiring interns for the summer of 2020. See https://sal.aalto.fi/en/contact_information/jobs/summer-jobs/ for a list of topics and more information on applying.Read more